There is something lovely about baking with lemons in the middle of winter. The aroma not only provides warmth to the kitchen, but the taste provides a little hint of summer and warmer days to come. However, this torte is also extremely comforting with it’s pudding like texture. This recipe was published by Sophie Dahl.
It’s summer on a cool winters day. What more could you ask of a torte?
225g Caster Sugar
6 Eggs, Separated
Zest and juice of 4 lemons
300g Almond Meal
115g Potato Flour
1. Preheat the oven to 200°. Grease a 23cm tart or cake tin. (The tart tin looks fancier!)
2. Cream the butter and sugar. Mix in the egg yolks. Add the lemon zest and juice.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks are formed. Fold into the butter mixture.
4. Fold in the ground almonds and the potato flour. Pour mixture into the prepared tin.
5. Cook for ten minutes at 200°, before turning the oven down to 150°. Cook for a further 40 minutes.
6. Enjoy with some cream/ice-cream or (if you’re feeling decadent) some lemon butter mixed with marscapone cream.