It’s quite amusing that Alex posted only recently a mouth watering recipe for Pho Bo. I say amusing, because like Alex, Asian cuisine is not my strong suit. I find it difficult to get the balance of flavours quite right, and often I find the list of ingredients daunting.
I was browsing my favourite spice store in Melbourne Gewurzhaus and came across their Laksa spice blend. Included on the packaging was a recipe that I knew I needed to try. I was glad I did. The dish was beautiful, fragrant and filling. While my presentation leaves a little to be desired, it’s something I know I’ll perfect soon, as I will be making it many times!
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 2 tablespoons of laksa spice mix
- 1 shallot
- 650ml stock
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 350g coconut cream
- 200g tofu*
- 100g vermicelli noodles
- Vegetables of your choice (I used my favourite – carrots, broccoli and snow peas).
1. Heat oil with spice mix and stir until fragrant.
2. Add the shallot and fry for 1 minute. Add the stock, fish sauce, coconut cream and vegetables. Bring to a simmer.
3. Add the tofu and cook for 2-5 minutes.
4. Add the noodles and bubble for a further 2 minutes.
* You can use chicken or seafood but I love a tofu laksa.