This is another summer stable that is inspired by Jamie Oliver’s Grilled Apricot Salad from Jamie Cooks Italy.
It’s refreshing and I often make it with whatever stone fruit is in season. The salad below if serves four people as a side dish.
- 4 Stone Fruits (yellow peaches, apricots, or yellow nectarines), washed
- Fresh thyme, or basil
- 1 cup green leaves (butter lettuce or rocket work best), washed
- 4 slices of San Daniele Prosciutto sliced thinly
- 1 Ball of Mozzarella
- 1 Orange/Blood Orange
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- Pinch of Salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Slice, de-stone the fruit and gently grill either on a barbecue or on a small frypan on the stovetop. If not using a non-stick frypan, add little olive oil to prevent the fruit from sticking. Grill until the fruit starts to caramelise.
- While the fruit is grilling make the vinaigrette by adding all ingredients to a small jar and shaking gently.
- Peel, and slice the orange/blood orange into small wedges
- Toss the lettuce leaves in the vinaigrette
- On a serving plate add the lettuce leaves, then artfully add slices of the prosciutto.
- When the stone fruit is ready, alternatively place the stone fruit, orange/blood orange on the plate.
- Using your fingers, gently pull apart the mozzarella and add small pieces between the fruit. Garnish with the thyme or basil.