This is one of my first bakes of self-isolation due to COVID-19/Corona Virus, and only my second bake since the beginning of December, 2019.
It’s a breeze to make, and is basically a zucchini/courgette slice in a muffin. I find I much prefer this texture to the typically zucchini slice, it’s less eggy and the ham instead of bacon adds a nice flavour.
Zucchini, Ham and Cheese Muffins
Makes: 12 muffins
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
200g ham (approximately 10 slices), chopped
1 large zucchini/courgette
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
200g cottage cheese
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 200C. Line or grease a 12 hole muffin tray.
- Coarsely grate the zucchini/courgette, using a cotton cloth or muslin cloth to squeeze any excess liquid out.
- In a large bowl add the the zucchini, 170g of the ham, parsley and flour. Season with pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix the cheeses and egg together before adding to the dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Divide the mixture evenly amongst the muffins tins.
- Add a small quantity of the chopped ham and parmesan cheese (if using) on each muffin.
- Bake for 25 minutes, the muffins should be a lovely golden brown.
Vegetarian Option: This can easily be made vegetarian by omitting the zucchini. If you do this add 1/2 a teaspoon of salt to the flour mixture.