Summer is just around the corner. The weather is heating up, the days are getting longer and it’s the perfect time for ice-cream!
It’s also the perfect time to use my new ice-cream maker! I have been thinking about buying an ice-cream maker for a few years. For a long time I thought I didn’t really need another appliance in the kitchen. However recently, I decided to give in and research ice-cream maker. After reading reviews I decided to buy the Kitchen Aid attachment. It was a great decision as the attachment lives in my freezer for use at a moment’s notice and doesn’t take away valuable bench or cupboard space.
I’ve owned the ice-cream maker a month now and have used it half a dozen times. It’s surprisingly easy and I have to say, while I’ve been conservative with my choices so far (vanilla ice-cream, raspberry sorbet you get the idea!) I’m looking forward to being more adventurous in the future.
This ice-cream comes at the request of my sister, a Nutella fiend. Deliciously decadent, and wonderfully smooth. I’m a little addicted!
This recipe is from Nigella Lawson’s Forever Summer. It’s titled Baci Ice-cream; as I’ve omitted the hazelnut syrup it’s essentially Nutella ice-cream!
If you don’t have an ice-cream maker, never fear! You can still make this recipe. In lieu of using an ice-cream maker – freeze the mixture, stirring every hour for three hours.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 100g Sugar
- 500ml cups Double Cream
- 100g Dark Chocolate (At least 70% cocoa)
- 25g Cocoa Powder
- 200g Nutella
1. Whisk the yolks and sugar in a bowl until thick and creamy. While the mixture is beating, bring the cream to the boil.
2. Melt the chocolate.
3.. Reduce the mixture to a slow speed and slowly add the cream to the egg/sugar mixture.
4. Whisk in the melted chocolate into the mixture followed by the cocoa.
5. Pour the chocolate-custard mixture into a pan and cook on a low to moderate heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until everything’s’ smooth and amalgamated and beginning to thicken.
6. Transfer the mixture to a shallow bowl or a wide jug (the liquid about 700-800ml at this time. Be sure to every now and then to stop a skin from forming until the bowl/jug is cool to the touch
7. Whisk in the Nutella and transfer to you ice-cream maker following the manufacturers instructions.
8. Transfer to a 1L freezer proof container. Take out about 10 minutes before serving soften a little.