I love Tessa Kiros, her cookbooks are wonderful. I own Falling Cloudberries and Apples for Jam. This recipe comes from Apples for Jam. I’ve made it a few times, and I love it. As someone who doesn’t eat bananas, I love the concept of apple bread instead. It’s perfect for either breakfast or an afternoon snack.
- 150 g sugar
- 150 g butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 120 g all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 apples peeled, cored and coarsely grated (I like to grate 1 apple and dice the other for texture in the bread).
- 60 g walnuts, lightly toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 60 g walnuts, finely chopped
- 60 g brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease/line a loaf tin.
2. Beat together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the eggs in one at a time, and beat until combined.
3. Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into the mixture and beat until combined. Scrap down the sides.
4. Add the apples, walnuts and vanilla and fold through.
5. Pour into the prepared loaf tin. Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the mixture.
6. Bake for 15 minutes or until a skewer (or knife in my case) comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Be careful with the bread as it can be quite delicate.