With spring/summer comes one of my favourite vegetables – Zucchini and their flowers. While I am not quite the green thumb I wish I was, I fortunate to receive some zucchini flowers from my aunt Silvana and these proved a perfect light dinner on a warm night.
The great thing about this recipe is it can easily be updated to what flavours you have in the house.
Stuffed Zucchini Flower Ingredients:
- Zucchini Flowers (I used 8)
- 150g Ricotta
- 1/2 Preserved Lemons, slices thinly
- 4 Anchovy Fillets (optional)
- 2 Tbs Chopped Parsley
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 Cup Cold Water
- 1 Egg
- Vegetable, Canola or Sunflower Oil for Frying
- Gently wash the zucchini flowers to remove any dirt. Taking create care, open the flowers to remove the stem, trying not to break the petals.
- In a medium size bowl mix all other zucchini flowers ingredients until combined.
- Using a teaspoon, gently fill the zucchini flowers until full taking great care to gently twist the top to try and seal.
- Make the batter by mixing all ingredients.
- Head about 4cm of oil in a deep frying pan until it reached 150-160C
- Gently dip the flowers in the batter and add to the oil. Cooking 3-4 flowers at a time, fry for about 2 minutes until a nice golden colour, taking care to turn the flowers over halfway through cooking.
- Remove from frypan with a metal slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towel. Sprinkle gently with sea salt.
- Serve and Enjoy!